Pradeep's Blog

Google

Thursday, September 22, 2005

How to install a wiki


Last week I had to install a wiki for my website. I will give a brief account of how I did that.
Some of the prerequisites for a wiki are
· Database - an SQL database to store the Wiki text, & user list.
· Web server - a web server to serve the HTML web pages
· PHP- the programming language that MediaWiki is written in.
· WIKI, which is a suite of programs written in PHP.
My choice for all these were MySql for database, IIS as the web server and media wiki was my choice of wiki.
Ok, so I had all this how did I set it up? I downloaded media wiki from http://www.sf.net/projects/wikipedia, changed it name to something reasonable (since you don’t want all the version details in the URL) and uploaded it into my site. Then I created a MySql database in my site using the plesk control panel. So now I had the database and the installation file in my site.
The next step is to install wiki using the form given in the installation directory. Suppose you had uploaded wiki into a dir called “start” in your domain then you can visit this form using the like www.yourdomain/start/. Then fill in the details asked here. Once this is done successfully you have to move a file called localsetting.php from the /start/config/ folder into /start / folder.
That’s it the next time you visit www.yourdomain/start/ you will see the default wiki page. There are lots of security settings which need to be set, about which I will write about in my next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home